We all experience the problem of body odor at some time. Body odor can be due to overactive sweat glands, poor hygiene, nutrient deficiencies, gastrointestinal problems and underlying medical problems. Irrespective of why one suffers from body odor, it can be a source of great discomfort for others and very embarrassing for you.
Eating a good diet and drinking enough water can really cut down the body odor, but most of us try to tackle the problem with a deodorant. There are many commercial deodorants and antiperspirants in various forms in the market. Most of these products work great but such products are not good for your skin.
There are many harmful ingredients in commercial deodorants that can cause harm to your skin and lead to many health problems. This does not mean that you must avoid using a deodorant. What you can do is make your own deodorant at home with some easily available non-toxic ingredients.
Here is a very simple and easy to make homemade deodorant recipe.
Ingredients for the homemade deodorant
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is good for the skin and can help kill bacteria that causes body odor.
- One-forth cup of baking soda. Baking soda helps absorb moisture from the skin and reduce body odor.
- One-forth cup of arrowroot or cornstarch. Both arrowroot and cornstarch can absorb moisture from the skin.
- A bottle of your favorite essential oil. Any kind of essential oil can neutralize strong body odor and also lend a nice fragrance to your body.
- A recycled, shallow glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Step up step process to make homemade deodorant
- First of all mix together one-forth cup each of baking soda and arrowroot (or cornstarch) in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the powdered mixture into a small saucepan and place it on your stove top.
- Add one tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil into the powdered mixture.
- Now stir the mixture with the help of a fork until all the ingredients get mixed properly.
- Turn on your stove top to the lowest flame setting and slowly mix the remaining coconut oil into the powdered mix.
- When the mixture gets a creamy texture remove from heat.
- Now adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil such as vanilla, lavender, or rose.
- Mix properly and then pour your mixture into a clean, dry glass jar.
- Allow it to cool and then your homemade deodorant is ready for use.
- Store the jar in a cool dark place.
So, a simple natural deodorant is ready for use. Apply this deodorant to your underarms with the help of your fingertips to keep yourself fresh and dry and free from odor.