Any skincare routine is not perfect if it does not give importance to moisturizing technique. Irrespective of what type of skin you have, you need to use the most suitable cream or lotion for moisturizing your skin. This will help to keep your skin looking radiant and glowing throughout the day.
Benefits of moisturizer
- A suitable moisturizer can help prevent and treat dry skin.
- It can protect sensitive skin, improve skin tone and texture, and mask imperfections.
- As moisturizers hold water in the outermost layer of skin, they also act as a temporary barrier for your skin.
- It also protects the outer layer of the skin from harmful effects of sun, wind and other environmental factors.
When and how to use a moisturizer?
- Apply moisturizers immediately after drying your skin after takin a bath. As the skin is still moist, moisturizer will penetrate in the skin surface properly.
- Apply moisturizer onto your hands every time you wash them.
- After you have finished cleansing your face with the appropriate cleanser for your skin type you must immediately apply a suitable moisturizer. If you leave it too long in moisturizing your face, the moisture can evaporate taking your skin’s natural moisture with it.
- You can even apply it as a protective base for make-up. A light consistency moisturizer holds the make-up for a longer period.
Which moisturizer to use?
There are end numbers of moisturizers available in the market and not all products are suitable for your skin. It is important to find out the right moisturizer for yourself depending upon many factors like your skin type, your age and whether you are suffering from specific skin conditions like acne, pimple, and eczema and so on. To choose the perfect moisturizer for yourself, consider the following guideline:
Normal skin: This type of skin is neither too dry nor too oily. In order to maintain the natural moisture balance of the skin, it is recommended to use a water-based moisturizer having light and non-greasy feeling.
Dry skin: For those having dry skin type must choose a moisturizer that helps to restore moisture to the skin. It is better to use a oil-based moisturizer that contains moisturizing ingredients or petrolatum-based products. Such products will help keep your skin hydrated.
Oily skin: Acne is a common problem for those having oily skin. Though oily in nature, you need to apply a suitable moisturizer on your oily skin. Do fot forget to apply a light moisturizer after using skin care products that can remove oil and dry out the skin.
Sensitive skin: Those having sensitive skin must use a moisturizer that contains soothing ingredients such as chamomile or aloe vera. Make sure the product does not contain fragrances or dyes or acids.
Mature skin: As you age, your skin tends to become drier as the oil-producing glands become less active. To keep your skin soft and well hydrated, opt for an oil-based moisturizer that contains petrolatum as the base, along with antioxidants to combat age related skin problems like wrinkles, fine lines, age spots and so on.
Some Additional Tips
- Check the ingredients of your moisturizing cream or lotion as some products may contain harsh ingredients. Such products must be avoided at any cost.
- When using a moisturizing lotion or cream, your skin feels oily or heavy then you need to stop using it immediately. Such products may cause more harm than good to your delicate skin.
- Along with applying moisturizer to your skin, you need to make extra effort to keep your body well hydrated. Human body is made up of 75% water, and so you need to drink enough water throughout the day to keep it hydrated.
- An important point to remember is to opt for a moisturizer that contains a sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher to protect your skin from sun damage.
- Try to experiment with several products in order to find a moisturizer that fits your skin type and makes your skin look and feel soft.
- It is not necessary to buy the most expensive brand. Keep in mind that cost has no definite relationship to effectiveness.
- If a moisturizer doesn’t improve the condition of your skin or you notice skin problems after using a moisturizer, see your doctor or dermatologist.
To sum up, any skin type is susceptible to skin dryness, even oily skin but with the help of appropriate moisturizing routine your skin will look good and healthy.